It's done! It has taken ALL day, but I now have a workable, attractive database to use in working with the AAK Papers. It did take me some time to figure out how to set up the askSam entry form -- hampered I am sure by the medication I am taking for my back pain and the numerous breaks to relieve the pressure on same -- but it seems to be pretty workable. I have the standard template entry forms for web pages, etc. and also my customized entry form for letters.
This will allow me to give each letter an Item # (just for the purpose of keeping track of how much work I am doing!) as well as a File ID. This is the actual File Number I will use in filing the letter. I have decided to use the archival paper file folders (very thin) one per letter keeping the envelope and letter sheets together. I will try to put up to five or so of these paper file folders in one manila archival file folder. Each paper file folder will show the FILE ID and TO/FROM.
I am rather pleased with the fields I have set up:
In addition to Entry Date, Type (family, personal, business etc), I also have
Letter Date, To, From
People, Places, Events, Themes, notes
Envelope Adressee, Return, Postmark
I plan to do an overview of the letter, and then, if there is additional interest, I will go back and abstract or transcribe the letter adding to the CONTENTS field.
I am hopeful that I will be able to pull out a chronology as well as family info from this data.
Probably won't do much tomorrw as the SoCal Quilt Run is on again and I plan to hit the road as long as my back holds out!