This form does not yet contain any fields.
    SEARCH

10% Off Family Tree University 20% off 125x125

Forums > Advice on Purchasing a DSLR Camera

I just found your website today and while looking at it I thought maybe you could give me some good advice on what to look for when purchasing a new camera. My current point and shoot camera is old; current cell phone cameras are much better than mine. Besides using the camera for family photos, I want to use it to copy oversize photos and documents. I would like it to have available TIF and/or RAW format. I have a small portable scanner but it is too time consuming copying and stitching together the large size items. What other capabilities should I be looking for? Do you have suggestions for any particular brand or model of camera?

February 3, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterMaxine

Maxine, Most point-and-shoot digital cameras shoot only JPG format, although you may be able to find a high end camera that offers RAW. I can't recommend a particular model or brand, but suggest you check out Digital Photography Review <http://www.dpreview.com> for excellent reviews.

Look for a camera that offers a tripod mount and remote shutter release port. Most digital cameras now on the market have more than adequate resolution for digitizing family history artifacts and taking family photos.

I hope this helps with your camera purchase research.

February 4, 2013 | Registered CommenterFamily Curator

Sorry it took so long for my reply. Thank you very much for your suggestions. I think I will look hard at the high end point and shoot cameras. I guess it doesn't make much sense to spend oodles of money if you are not a professional and with technology changing so fast.

February 23, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterMaxine